Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Neuropathy

Another rainy day on the east coast. If only all this rain was snow.

Crafting and quilting have been on hold this week due to my many doctor visits. Monday, the rheumatologist reviewed all my old labs and paperwork and symptom chart. Then he decided I needed to do my Monday work-out a few hours early with the longest range of motion and strength test I've ever seen or done. After working up a bit of a sweat, I was sent down to the vampires to have six vials of blood taken... again. Really, what do they do with all that blood?! You only need a tiny drop to make a slide for many of the tests. And how do they dispose of all the leftover blood? Do they just dump me down the drain?

The good news is that I was given a prescription to help with my headaches and, get this, peripheral neuropathy. I was also referred to a neurologist for a nerve conduction study, which is the weirdest feeling test ever!

First, they strapped a few metal electrodes to my leg and then used a small cattle prod to send a shock down a certain nerve. It didn't feel like a shock, more like a buzz (like if you held your phone while it was vibrating), but it definitely made my toes and leg twitch. For the second half, I had a needle stuck into a muscle and was asked to do different movements while the needle was still in my muscle. It sounds painful, but it actually didn't hurt aside from a little pinch when the needle first went in.

The nerve study came back normal so my leg numbness continues to be a mystery. Sadly it's my driving and sewing foot.

Guess it's back to the drawing board for all this medical nonsense.


No comments:

Post a Comment

About Me

Former Army wife, clinical psychology student, quilt creator, medical enthusiast, recipe hunter